Mt. Laramie Veterinary Services has recently invested in a Pulsed Electro-Magnetic Field (PEMF) unit known as “Equipulse”. This tool adds to our diagnostic and healing capabilities. MLVS makes every effort to be open to new healing techniques and technologies. After extensive research, we decided to include PEMF in our practice.
- As the latest drug free, non-invasive, therapeutic modality on the human and animalmarket, the EquiPulse accelerates the healing of ligaments, tendons, muscles or bone injury by regenerating damaged and diseased tissue.
- EquiPulse therapy enhances the synthesis of protein in the cells, allowing the body to take advantage of all the protein available.
- EquiPulse therapy improves circulation, not by increasing heartbeat or blood pressure, but by opening and dilating the arteries and capillaries. This also reduces edema (swelling).
- EquiPulse therapy increases the cellular level of oxygen absorption. Studies have shown that oxygen partial pressure can be increased by 200%. This reduces pain associated with lack of sufficient oxygen. Also, insufficient oxygen in the cells causes lactic acid buildup under strenuous exercise.
- EquiPulse therapy is particularly effective in getting to deep muscle soreness because of its deep penetration.
- The body’s natural magnetic field, created by the flow of electrically charged ions in and out of cells and the transmission of electric impulses through cell membranes. Only a PEMF force and not static magnets can influence electrical changes on a cellular level within the body, for cell metabolism to be influenced. In addition static magnets only create continuous low levels of magnetic induction. The EquiPulse device delivers a very short duration, high intensity magnetic pulse. This results in a PEMF which penetrates completely through joints and muscles for a complete therapy!
- The EquiPulse system only needs to be used for 10-20 minutes, per body part, per session.
- Published, scientific studies abound for pulsed magnetic field therapy. PEMF has been FDA approved and widely used in the treatment of human delayed bone fractures for over a decade, and there is a growing body of literature concerning the biological and clinical effects of this energy. A recent study using pulsed magnetic fields reminds us that in clinical studies done over 20 years, over millions of patients have been treated safely with PEMF.
Many local respected veterinarians have been using PEMF therapy with great success:
“Our practice focuses on diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal issues in performance horses. Therapy with a Pulsed Electro-Magnetic Field (PEMF) has revolutionized our ability to successfully return athletic horses to their full potential; in many cases obviating the need for joint injections or surgery. We have found the EquiPulse especially effective at treating acute or chronic sacroiliac injuries. We are also using PEMF Therapy for injuries or strains to the tissues around the joints, specifically at the insertion of the tendons, ligaments and joint capsule (entheses). In some of our clients’ training barns, the EquiPulse has been effective at helping the horses to “warm up” the large muscle groups prior to engaging in any athletic activity.”
-MJ Martinelli DVM, PHD, Diplomate American College of Veterinary Surgeons
Dr. Crowley Hower has been using the PEMF unit for Mt. Laramie Veterinary Services over the past few months with excellent results. She has utilized it to decrease healing time of injuries and it has been extremely valuable in diagnosing lameness.
No responses yet